The Title is clear to mean that it’s about payment of tax dues on time on or before 18th April 2017 and e-filing form 4868 is to get convenience of extension of time for normal Income tax return filing as per the applicable and allowable IRS law (form 4868) say first 2 months from April 18th or 6 months from April 18th, 2017. In the first case say 2 extra months extension is allowed automatically (notwithstanding form 4868) for those on the due date April 18th, 2017 who are out of the country and U.S.citizens or residents who live outside USA and Puerto Rico or elsewhere even without extension request. But should pay tax dues on time the April 18th and file returns in a calendar year on or before June 16t, 2017. They can use form 4868 in case they want to extend up to 6 months and so that they can file the income tax returns on or before October 15th, 2014In the second case, by the request through form 4868, the automatic extension of time say 6 months is allowed but one needs to pay the tax due on or before April 18th, 2017 and file returns in a calendar year on or before October 16th,2017.
Application for automatic extension of time to file US individual income tax return is form 4868 which is simple in its form but complex to understand. That’s why the initial briefing notes are given above. The form 4868 has two parts in its presentation asking for individual identification details in the first part viz., Name, Address, City, town or post office, State, Zip code. Your Social Security Number and your Spouse’s Social Security Number.
Individual income tax details in the second part as per Form 4868 deals with –
1) Estimate of total tax liability for 2016
2) Total 2013 payments
3) Balance Due (subtract “total 2016 payments” from “Estimate of Total tax liability for 2016”.
4) Amount you are paying
5) Check here if you are “out of the country” and a U.S. citizen or resident (see instructions)
6) Check here if you file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and did not receive wages as an employee subject to U.S. income tax withholding……….
On tax due date April 18th, 2017, for those who are out of the country and a U.S.citizen or resident ticking the necessary box in 8th line above will give you another automatic extension up to 4 months in addition to the privileged 2 months they enjoy even without extension request through form 4868 as discussed earlier in this article.
Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ filers.
- If you cannot file your return by the due date, you should file Form 4868. You must file Form 4868 by the regular due date of the return.
- If you did not receive wages as an employee subject to U.S. income tax withholding, and your return is due June 16, 2014, check the box on line 9.
- These make the form 4868 with your complete information filled –in all respects allow you to have extension of time automatically up to 2 months to 6 months from 18th April 2017 for filing your income tax returns but pay the tax dues in both cases on or before 18th April.2017 will be the message
Efile now your form 4868 with https://www.Etax4868.com/ irrespective of in U.S.or outside for the automatic extension of time the 6 months for filing your income tax returns.