Truckers and trucking companies are wrapped up in e-filing their HVUT. Form 2290 is vital for truckers for filing HVUT tax before the due date. Taxable vehicles are ones that fall under the weight category of 55,000 or more and use the public highways. The form 2290 due date for any taxable vehicle relies on the previously used month. The tax period usually starts by July 1 and concludes by June 30 each year. It is important to file form 2290 before the due date to avoid penalties. Let’s look into a few details regarding the IRS form 2290 due date for 2020-21.
When is Form 2290 Due Date?
The IRS form 2290 for HVUT is vital to file each year by August 31st. For any new vehicles, the due date for form 2290 is the month’s last day following the month of the initial use of the vehicle. For example, If a truck was used in September then form 2290 due date falls on October 31st. Truckers with July as their use period for truck must bear in mind that August 31st is the due date.
Form 2290 Due Date 2020-2021 Tax Year
The due date for truck owners to file HVUT form 2290 is August 31st, 2020 for all taxable vehicles. Trucking companies can avert penalties as well as interest by filing HVUT before the deadline. Drivers should file HVUT while placing the vehicle for service too. Based on the first month of use of vehicles, the dates to file HVUT are given below.
- For first use July 2020, then due date falls on August 31st, 2020
- For first use, August 2020, then due date falls on September 30th, 2020
- For first use, September 2020, then due date falls on October 31th 2020
- For first use October 2020, then due date falls on November 30th, 2020
- For first use November 2020, then due date falls on December 31th 2020
- For first use December 2020, then due date falls on January 31th 2021
- For first use January 2021, then due date falls on February 28th, 2021
- For first use February 2021, then due date falls on March 31th 2021
- For first use, March 2021, then due date falls on April 30th, 2021
- For first use April 2021, then due date falls on May 31st, 2020
- For first use May 2021, then due date falls on June 30th, 2021
- For first use, June 2021, then due date falls on July 31th 2021
It is mentioned to file IRS form 2290 without taking into account the due of state registration for the vehicle. For due dates that fall on Saturdays, Sunday’s and national holidays, the filing of form 2290 is complete in the next business day. It is always a good way to file form 2290 by the due date. For truckers facing difficulty in filing form 2290 before the due date can file for an extension. By doing so IRS penalties and late filing payments are avoided.
Hope the due dates are useful for all trucking companies filing form 2290 for the year 2020-21. It is the responsibility of truckers to file HVUT before the due date and receive an acknowledgment. Tax2efile.com supports truckers and trucking companies in the e-filing process of form 2290. Log in to the account and make sure to file form 2290 before the deadline.