IRS Tax Form 2290 is used to report the Heavy Vehicle Used Tax Return to the federal authorities. The IRS Form 2290 tax year starts from 1st July and ends at 30th June and must be filed annually.
Use of IRS Form 2290
- IRS 2290 form is used to pay the heavy truck taxes for vehicles whose gross taxable weight is 55,000 pounds or more.
- To prepare and file exemption of truck taxes for the heavy vehicles, which is expected to be used within the mileage limit of 5,000 miles(7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles).
- To evaluate the tax and pay them for acquired used truck during the used period.
- To repay the amended 2290 tax return on a heavy truck for which the suspension was made, but later exceeded the mileage limit during the tax period.
- To calculate and pay the amended 2290 tax return on heavy truck whose gross taxable weight increased during the tax period and fallen into a new weight category.
- To make a claim for vehicle, which was stolen, destroyed, sold or used within the mileage limit.
- In order to report the acquisition of used and suspended taxable vehicle.
Form 2290 Stamped Schedule 1
Form 2290 is filed with the details of Vehicle Identification Number(VIN) and gross taxable weight of the vehicle. After successful filing, the IRS processes the submitted application and sends the Stamped Schedule 1 to the tax file. The HVUT Form 2290 Schedule 1 serves as a proof of payment to register the vehicle. The Stamped Schedule 1 is stamped with the IRS E-filing watermark and the date it received the tax return for processing.
Form 2290 Schedule 1 serves as a proof to renew vehicle registration with state, DMV or DOT authorities, to renew license plates and insurance tags.
Reporting HVUT Form 2290 Online
As a tax filer, you need to report and file Form 2290 to the IRS. The tax filer can be a Limited Liability Company(LLC), Individual, Partnership, Corporation, or other Non-profit Organization. Form 2290 has to be filed for the first used month of the taxable vehicle on the public roads during the tax period. The due date of the filing will be last day of the following month, when the vehicle is first used. If the due date falls on Saturday, Sunday or a Legal Holiday, then you can file the tax returns by the next business day.
In order to complete the Form 2290, a tax filer needs an Employer Identification Number(EIN) (you cannot use SSN), Vehicle Identification Number and the Taxable Gross Weight category of each vehicle.
Electronic or E-filing IRS Form 2290
Electronic or E-filing is required and kept mandatory by the IRS while filing 25 or more heavy vehicles during the tax period. You can also E-file Form 2290 regardless to the number of vehicles. E-filing the forms, let’s the process to start quickly and you receive the Stamped Schedule 1 instantly as soon as the IRS accepts your HVUT Form 2290 filing.