Welcome back to our etax2290 blog filers. This blog will deal with the various types of the vehicles that are filed through this form and its own set of requirements.
Types of Vehicles under 2290 Form
As a trucker, you all might know the importance of e-filing Form 2290. But on the other hand, you must also know the various types of vehicles that are needed to be filed under 2290 Form. Before filing HVUT 2290 form to the Internal Revenue Service every tax filer must be aware of the types of the vehicles, which they own. There is some difference in filing the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) based on the type of the vehicle. Hence categorize your vehicle based on the provided information below and start filing your IRS 2290 Form online.
The first group of the vehicles would be taxable vehicles. The vehicles under this category are classified based on the Taxable Gross weight and average mileage of the vehicle, that is 55,000 pounds or more and drives more than 5,000 miles (7,500 miles for the Agricultural vehicle) respectively in a year. These vehicles can cause damages to the highway roads due to the load they carry. Hence, the IRS enforced these heavy vehicles to file the HVUT form and pay the dues depending on the gross weight of the heavy vehicle and the miles used by the vehicles on the highway.
It is mandatory for every trucker to file their Form 2290 before the due date or the IRS penalties would be levied, which is more than the actual tax amount. In addition, if you are a fleet owner and you have more than 25 vehicles to file then it is mandatory to file them online. Just click on Etax2290.com to register and e-file your IRS 2290 Form.
This topic name itself clearly specifies the feature under this section. Under this category, the vehicles do not cross the minimum mileage of 5,000 miles per year and for agricultural purpose used vehicle has the minimum mileage of 7,500 miles yearly. In such cases, they are not required to pay their dues but they are responsible to report the IRS about the same through the Form 2290.
The vehicles under the category are as follows:
- The average mileage of the commercial vehicle is less than 5,000 and for agricultural used vehicles, the average mileage is 7,500 miles.
- Mobile machinery used for non-transportation trailers, non-transportation function, and semi-trailers.
- Qualified official blood collectors used by the blood banks and organizations.
If the annual mile exceeds more than 5,000 miles and 7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles are calculated by the taxable miles. In such case, you need to file the Form 2290 Amendments in order to pay the dues and you can receive the revised stamped Schedule 1 copy from the Internal Revenue Service ( IRS)
The government owns and operates these vehicles. These vehicles are not taxable but they need to inform the IRS about the exemption.
The Vehicles included in this list are as follows:
- The Federal Government.
- The District of Columbia
- The American National Red Cross.
- A state or local government.
- A non-profit fire department, rescue squad or ambulance association
- Mass transportation authority. (Certain conditions are applied)
- Indian tribal government which is used to carry out the essential functions of the tribal government.
This list also includes the following vehicles:
- Qualified blood collector organization’s qualified blood collector vehicles.
- Mobile machinery, which is not categorized under the heavy vehicle section.
The Vehicles under this category is used to conduct logging operations.
The Vehicles under Logging Vehicles Category are:
- The vehicles used for transporting harvested products from the site or used to transport harvested products from the site to the desired locations by using public highways between the forest site locations.
- The Vehicles that are registered as a highway motor vehicle but used in to transport the harvested goods. It needs no additional tags to differentiate from other vehicles.
The vehicles under this category are involved in agricultural activities such as harvesting and transporting the goods. The maximum mileage of this vehicle is 7,500 miles per year.
The Vehicles under this Agricultural Vehicles Category are:
- Vehicles used for farming purpose primarily.
- Vehicles that are registered under the highway motor vehicle but are used for farming and agricultural purpose. Note that there is no special tag to differentiate this vehicle from the other vehicles.
Having discussed more the vehicles, it is our responsibility to remind you that if you are a trucker and bought the vehicle in the month of April for the first time then it is high time to file the HVUT 2290 form by the due date of 31st May annually. So Sign up with us at Etax2290.com and file your Form 2290 now to avoid the penalties from the IRS. Register with us FREE at Etax2290.com
Hope this article gave wide information about the details of the vehicles under the Form 2290. Still if you have any queries to answer and for more assistance, contact our customer support team at 703-229-0326 or drop a mail at email@example.com. We are happy to assist you at any time.